Global Trauma Fixation Market is projected to register a healthy CAGR of 6.9% in the forecast period of 2018 to 2025. The new market report contains data for historic years 2017, the base year of calculation is 2018 and the forecast period is 2018 to 2025.
Access Full Report: https://databridgemarketresearch.com/reports/global-trauma-fixation-market
Drivers: Global Trauma Fixation Market
INCREASING PREVALENCE OF BONE DEGENERATIVE DISEASES AND ORTHOPEDIC DISORDERS:
- The term orthopedic involves study, diagnosis, prevention and treatment of musculoskeletal system. These systems consist of bones, joints, ligaments muscles and various other parts. The lower extremities such as leg, knee and thigh and upper extremities such as shoulder elbow, hand and wrist suffer from orthopedic disorder. Various orthopedic disorders are broken arm, osteoarthritis of shoulder or elbow, athletic throwing injuries, congenital abnormalities, dislocated shoulder blade and various other conditions. Thase disorders can occur due to falling or some kind of accidents. The orthopedic disorder affects the body’s musculoskeletal system and proper clinical care is required in these case. The various acute and chronic pains are caused in the orthopedic disorder and they need to be trated on time. According to an article published by science daily, in 2016 around 126.6 million were affected by musculoskeletal condition in U.S. which cost around USD 213.0 billion for treatment. According to a study conducted by Global Burden of Disease,in 2012 a various orthopedic conditions such as arthritis and back pain affected more than 1.7 billion people globally.
- The bone degenerative diseases are those which cause deterioration of bones. In this condition breakdown of the cartilage that lines the joints is caused. These diseases can be caused at any joint of the body which causes pain and reduces mobility. For instance, lazer spine institute (U.S.) has helped more than 75,000 patients suffering from chronic neck and back pain. According to an article published recently by U.S. department of health and human services, around 27.0 million people in U.S. suffer from osteoarthritis. There are several other diseases that are related to the trauma disorders such as, the pelvis and acetabular fractures, fracture non-unions and mal-unions and acute fractures.
- According to an article published by National Center for Biotechnology Information (U.S.), it has been observed that the incidence of pelvic ring fractures between 2.0% and 8.0% of all fractures. Whereas, the prevalence can also increase up to 25.0% in patients with multiple traumas. These traumas related diseases are the reason behined the usage of the trauma fixation devices.
RISING INCIDENCE OF SPORTS INJURIES:
- The common causes of injuries related to sports include poor training methods, structural abnormalities and weakness in muscle and many other reasons. There are several common sport injuries such as shin splints, achilles tendinitis, lumbar strain, lateral and medial epicondylitis and various others. These injuries can also occur due to wear and tear or accidents. For treatment of such disease the affected area should be immediately treated to relive pain and swelling.
- Nowdays,increased enthusiasim towards fitness has increased and people have become more sports enthusiastic. According to an article published recently by The Johns Hopkins University, in U.S. about 30.00 million children and people participate in sports, which cause around 3.5 million injuries every year. The article also stated that more than 3.5 million people are between age group 14-17 get injured while playing sports annually.
- Increase in participation in sports globally has increased the number of accidents due to sports activity which has increased the market for trauma fixation.
GROWING INCIDENCE OF ROAD ACCIDENTS AND FALLS:
- The road accidents are the leading cause of deaths by injury. It is the tenth leading cause of all the deaths globally. According to an article published by population reference bureau, an approximately 1.2 million people are killed in road accidents each year. An estimate of 50 million people are injured in road accidents leading to orthopaedic problems. Various developing countries face a huge burden of loss of life in road accidents due to lack of infrastructure. Various government initiatives are being implemented to avoid such issues such as applying strict traffic rules, improving conditions of the roads. According to an article published recently by The New York Times Company, in the year 2016 around 40,000 people have died in U.S. and the toll has risen from 6.0% from 2015. The road accidents majorly cause fractures in lower extremities or upper extremities of the body. One of the other cause which causes fractures include falling such as trembling over the hell rock which causes twisting of arms and legs leading to fractures. The growing activates oftrekking in the recent year has increased the number of fractures accidents around the globe. These fractures in the lower and the upper extremities needs to be treated with the trauma fixation procedures for the better and faster bone fracture fixation.
- The increase in number of road accidents globally have increased the need of trauma fixation methods around the globe is positively helping the growth of the market.
TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCEMENT AND RECENT DEVELOPMENT OF TRAUMA FIXATION DEVICES:
- The orthopaedic injuries are increasing across the globe due to various factors such as increase in road accidents, sports injuries or due to rising aging population. The need for various devices that can be used for trauma fixation is increasing globally. Various key players in the market are making technological advancements such as merger, acquisition, product launch and various other processes for the development of product used in trauma fixation. For instance,
- In 2017, Dupey Synthes (U.S.) which is one of the major player of the market launched new TFNA Augmentation System. This is the first polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA) cement, that will be used for hip fractures in patients with poor bone quality. The main objective of the company with this launch was to expand its product portfolio. The new system also addresses clinical needs of patients undergoing hip fracture surgery.
- AAP Implante AG (Germany) launched a new product under the brand name LAQTEQ, is a stable coating with moderate absorption rate. The product is cost effective. With this technological advancement the company is majorly targeting to improve its product line for orthopaedic surgeries.
- In 2018, Acumed (U.S.) unveiled a new pelvic plating system at the 29th Orthopaedic Trauma association annual meeting for the repair pelvic injuries. The new design pelvic bone plate system includes plates, screws and accessories which are designed to provide fixation during fractures, fusions, and osteotomies for the acetabulum, entire pelvic ring and for many other solutions.
- The various key players in the market are making various developments and technological advancements as to provide the patients with the appropriate products which are also cost effective. These steps taken by the key players are increasing the growth of the trauma fixation market.
INCREASING COST OF RAW MATERIALS:
Product recall is the procedure to recall the launched product from the market due to frequent causes related to quality of the products, device design, software, and non-conforming material or component issues and issues concerning to the safety of people. Therefore, recall poses a significant restraint for the medical device industry.
Various products are recalled from the market by FDA due to various reasons such as manufacturing defects or people safety or quality of the products.
Product recalls are made for the products with problems that could affect the safety of the consumer. This recalling of product is carried out by traders
- In November 2018, Red Bull North America recalled two batches of their Red Bull energy drink. This is because of degraded products, producing an off color and taste as well as elevated levels of some ingredients.
- In June 2015, Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) ordered to recall the restless trauma fixation as it was found that the drinks are ‘unsafe’ to the consumers. These trauma fixation are Monster, Tzinga and Cloud 9 which was produced by using unsafe ingredients.
LACK OF TRAINED PROFESSIONALS:
- A survey on health care human resource managers revealed the shortage of qualified professionals in the . The critical shortage of computer system personnel, registered nurses, pharmacists, and therapists areaffecting the growth of the market. . To solve the shortages of qualified professionals hospitals are employing a variety of tools to simplify the process for workers. Various strategies such as bonuses, compensation, flexible work schedules, and other perks are being offered to retain qualified workers.
- According to an article published by Morningstar, Inc.( an investment research and investment management firm) It has been found that the US will be in the need of 2.3 million new health care professionals by 2025 to take care of patients.
- According to research by global health care staffing consultancy Mercer, due to a constant shortage of skilled workers many positions will remain vacant for nurses, physicians and lab technicians..
- According to the Mercer’s U.S. Healthcare External Labour Market Analysis, in the U.S. there will be lack of 446,300 health aids, 98,700 medical and lab tecnologists and technicians, 95,000 nursing assistant and 29,400 nurse practitioners by 2025. Due to the the hospitals and other medical facilities are facing skilled and professional staffs.
- lack of trained and skilled medical proffessionals are hindering the market for the trauma fixation market in present..
DEVELOPMENT OF NON-METAL IMPLANTS:
- The manufacturers of fixation products and implants have been developing strategies to minimize the stiffness of the construct. The modifications include surgical technique for existing plates and screws, new screw designs, and usage of advancedmaterials. it has been observed from the studies that a material with a lower elastic modulus can improve results for trauma fixation.
- Invibio (U.S.) a provider of biomaterials solutions launched fused technologies which offersbenefits over metal trauma plate solutions. The company is providing PEEK-OPTIMA Ultra-Reinforced product which is a natural polymer with continuous carbon fibers. It helps in providing the strength and resistance for high-load implant applications. This product is considered as a substitute to stainless steel and titanium and growing in popularity for fracture fixation devices.
- These new developments in various companies and the increasing use of non-metal implants for trauma fixation are creating a great opportunity in the trauma fixation market.
COMPLICATIONS RELATED TO FIXATION PRODUCTS
- There are various complications related to the internal and external fixation products pre and post fixation such as pin-track infection/loosening, frame or pin/wire failure, malunion, non-union, soft-tissue impalement, and compartment syndrome. many reports of clinical success in the past have suggested that that in some submissions the plate and screw fixations were too inflexible limiting the micromotion which is necessary for healing by callus formation. It is observed that metal implants have been used for many years with great results. However, in some cases there were difficulties involvedd to non-unions, delayed unions, and implant failure which continue to be a challenge due to stiff constructs and consiered as a risk factor.
- Distal femur fractures are stiff locking plate constructs and show healing difficulties. These complications in the trauma fixation are caused by loosening, nonunion, broken hardware, and severe orprolonged pain are to be overcome by eliminating these materials. There are also some other complications which are caused by exposures, deformities, and infections.
- Due to the complications related to fixation products and different problems connected to the trauma fixation devices are acting as a major challenge for the market.
Global trauma fixation market is categorized based on basis of products, surgical site, end user and distribution channel.
- On the basis of products, the market is segmented into three notable segments; internal fixator devices, external fixator devices and other trauma products. In 2018, internal fixator devices segment is estimated to rule with 77.9% shares and rising at the highest CAGR of 7.1%. Internal fixator devices are sub segmented into plates, screws, rod wires and pins, and fusion nails. External fixator devices are sub segmented into unilateral & bilateral external fixators, circular fixators and hybrid fixators.
- In October 2016, AAP Implante AG launched polyaxial ankle trauma fixation products related to lower extremities of the body under their brand name LOOTEQ. The company’s motive behind this product launch is to expand their product portfolio. The names of the products are LOQTEQ VA Distal Tibia and Fibula Plates 2.7/3.5. The products allow flexible treatment to the ankle fractures.
- On the basis of surgical site, the market is segmented into two notable segments; lower extremities and upper extremities. In 2018, lower extremities segment is valued to rule with 75.8% shares and rising at the highest CAGR of 7.1%. Lower extremities are sub segmented into hip and pelvic, lower leg, foot and ankle, knee and thigh. Upper Extremities are sub segmented into shoulder, hand and wrist, elbow and arm.
- In October 2017, Dupey Synthes launched TFNA augmentation system. It is the first polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA).cement, which is used for hip fixation to treat patients suffering from poor bone quality. The main objective of the company is to expand its product portfolio. The new system also addresses important clinical requirements of the patients undergoing hip fracture surgery.
- On the basis of end user, the market is segmented into; hospitals, trauma centers and ambulatory surgical centers. In 2018, hospitals segment is projected to rule with 52.8% shares and rising at the highest CAGR of 7.2%.
- In March 2018, Wright Medical Group N.V. launched its first preoperative planning system in U.S. It is patient-specific instrumentation for ankle revision arthroplasty with name INVISION PROPHECY, which is a total ankle revision system. It is an addition to Wright’s total ankle portfolio, extending the use of preoperative planning.
- On the basis of distribution channel, the market is segmented into into two notable segments; direct tender and retails. In 2018, direct tenders segment is likely to rule with 75.0% shares and rising at the highest CAGR of 7.1%.
- In April 2017, Nuvasive, Inc. launched its new technological fixation solution for the treatment of the posterior region fractures or spine fractures in the body. Also, the system has customized implant types that supports a multitude of techniques and options. The company aims at expanding their product portfolio to serve better to their customer’s..
Major Players: Global Trauma Fixation Market
Some of the major players operating in this market are DePuy Synthes, Stryker, Smith & Nephew, Zimmer Biomet, Acumed, aap Implant AG, TriMed, Inc., OsteoMed, Orthofix Holdings, Inc., Advanced Orthopaedic Solutions, B. Braun Melsungen AG, Wright Medical Group N.V. and Corin among others.