Drivers: South America Enteral Feeding Formulas Market
RISING NUMBER OF PRETERM BIRTH:
Preterm is defined as babies born alive before 37 weeks of pregnancy and they are categorized on the basis of birth weeks such as extremely preterm born in less than 28 weeks, very preterm born in between 28 to 32 week and moderate to late preterm in between 32 to 37 weeks. These preterm babies have immature lungs, difficulty in regulating body temperature, poor feeding and slow weight gain; hence they require additional nutrition for their growth. Enteral tube feeding is the preferred route to feed preterm infants because premature infants are unable to coordinate sucking, swallowing, and breathing. There are two common tube feeding methods such as intermittent (bolus) and continuous infusion.
Increasing number of the preterm infants in the low economic countries leads to the development and high supply of the nutritional values by enteral feeding as well as parenteral feeding. Some of the stats are as follows:
- For instance, according to the World Health Organization (WHO), in 2015, preterm birth complications are the leading cause of death among children who are less than 5 years of age, which causes approximately 1 million deaths. Around 15 million babies are born preterm that is before 37 complete weeks of gestation, and we could see a rise in this number.
- According to the World Health Organization (WHO), in 2018 the estimated number of preterm birth is 279,300 in Brazil and continuing the growth of preterm births.
GROWING NUMBER OF CHRONIC DISEASES:
Enteral tube feeding allows intake of appropriate nutritional values when normal oral intake is inadequate. Person suffering from the chronic disease which includes chronic obstructive pulmonary disease which includes chronic bronchitis and emphysema, crohn’s disease, chronic dysphagia exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, short bowel syndrome, intestinal fistulas and radiation enteritis requires long term enteral feeding.
These congenital heart diseases, chronic renal failure, chronic lung disease with short gut syndrome, cystic fibrosis, and metabolic conditions includes high metabolic demand of the nutrition in the adults and paediatric patients and enteral tube feeding helps them to grow and overcome the associated metabolic problem.
These enteral nutrition support (ENS) supplies are enrooted from NG tube, G-tube/Button, J-tube or a JET-PEG and require ENS for a defined period of time until the supplied values meet the goal of requirement and are supplied in form of liquid via stomach or small bowel.
Growing number of the chronic disease enhances the supply of nutritional supplement to the patients in hospitals and home care for a long term. The statistics show that:
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in 2016, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) includes Chronic Bronchitis and Emphysema. Around 8.9 Million adult populations were diagnosed with the chronic bronchitis which is 3.7% of the total population and the estimated number of adult population with the emphysema is 3.5 Million which is1.4% that had been diagnosed with the emphysema. In 2015 the total visits to office-based physicians with COPD is 3.2% and the total number of emergency office visit is 7.3 million.
- According to the United States Renal Database Systems (USRDS) in 2017, children (from 0-4 age group) have the highest prevalence of short stature, defined as less than 3.0% height or length as per the age. At 52.7%. Children (from 0- 4 age group) also have the highest incidence of being underweight which is around 14.8%.
RISK ASSOCIATED WITH THE ENTERAL TUBE FEEDING:
Enteral tube feeding is used for the patients to supply special liquid food mixture containing protein, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins and minerals through different route. This administration of the nutritional ingredients is not an easy method and lead to nausea, diarrhea, vomiting and different complication such as poor gastric emptying, medications and bacterial contamination of feeding system.
Enteral tube feeding is also associated with the metabolic functions such as fluid and electrolyte balance, gastrointestinal tolerance and potential for drug nutrient interactions. The other problem associated with the feeding is tube occlusion that leads to the blockage. Tube need to be cleaned before and after feeding and the proper cleaning need to be done from sorbitol which can lead to diarrhea.
The children with the severe underlying medical conditions such as metabolic disorder require strict diet. The patients with brain damage causes dysphagia which lead to aspiration, and require enteral nutrition support (ENS) for the entire life. The supply of the nutritional formulas are done with different tubes such as G tube, NG tube, PEG tube and J tube, which provides food to the patients until they are recovered.
Few of the children comes in normal condition whereas few becomes tube dependent and leads to the side effects such as vomiting, gagging, and recurrent retching, hence they require proper medication for their treatment.
STRICT REGULATION OF USAGE FOR PATIENTS SAFETY:
Various types of government regulations for launching a product in market are found to be a big restraint. Every country has its own regulations and has different body for regulatory procedures. Stringent regulatory and product approval policies are expected to hinder the development of the enteral feeding tube formula market.
The enteral nutritional supplement containing minerals, protein, vitamins, fats and more is given through the tube to the patients via stomach or small bowel. These enteral tube feeding can be fed with different routes such as nasogastric which is called as nasoenteral feeding tube, gastrostomy and jejunostomy.
The supply of the nutrients with enteral tube feeding maintains the nutrient composition of the patients which also lead to the serious illness such as bacterial infection in the stomach. This problem can be due to the composition of the feeding formula, technique of administration, contamination of tubes and formula.
Various government authorities have proposed different regulations which need to be implemented by the doctors, nurses, hospitals, manufacturers, ambulatory centers and homecare for the patients. The statistics shows that:
- According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in 2018, proposed a regulation on medical devices which also includes the administration of the food or nutrients via stomach or through tubes, for the safety of patients.
- According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, they have kept various classification for the tube to be used in the enteral tube feeding, few of the regulation number is 5980, and this regulation is for product specifications such as different types of tubes including gastrointestinal tube and accessories used in the enteral feeding.
Opportunity: South America Enteral Feeding Formulas Market
GROWTH IN HEALTHCARE EXPENDITURE OF DEVELOPING ECONOMIES:
Rising business expansions and various launches of products by the companies is leading to the growth of enteral feeding formula which is responsible for rise in growth of GDP for developing economy of the countries. Enteral nutrition is used for the patients who are unable to intake oral food or with the restricted supplement in medical observation. Various companies have expanded their product portfolio by launching and spending on enteral supplements and enteral tubes such as,
- In June 2018, Otsuka Pharmaceutical Factory, Inc. (Japan) announced the launch of Racol-NF liquid which is used as enteral feeding through tubes also oral administration. Racol-NF liquid formula is enriched with the nutrients such as protein, carbohydrates, minerals, vitamins, fats and trace elements depending on the intake by the patients.
- In January 2015, Abbott (U.S.) announced the launch of new educational film for healthcare professionals, which involves the importance of the taste and their impact on the oral nutritional supplements and also improves outcome of the patients.
Challenge: South America Enteral Feeding Formulas Market
INSUFFICIENT REIMBURSEMENTS POLICIES:
Reimbursement policies for enteral tube feeding consume a significant part that includes the healthcare costs in small proportion to the total population around world. Every country and their government have specific reimbursement policies which comprises the cost of expenses by controlling the expenses of the long term patients. Reimbursement policies are quite a helpful solution which minimizes the overall cost of the patients and also provides good values for the treatment and to the caretaker.
Enteral nutrition is a third party payer as tube feeding for the patient who is unable to take food orally, this is widely used in U.S. as a life sustaining therapy. Coverage policies and refund policies differs from payers and settings.
- According to Blue Cross Blue Shield, offers a medical coverage on BlueCHiP for Medicare and Commercial Products, which provide medical coverage to the group of people with the medical equipment, medical supplies and prosthetic devices.
Lack of the reimbursement policies due to enteral feeding for patients with various chronic diseases, theinvolvement of a care taker for the long term patients and high cost investment for the treatment of patients requiring daily enteral feed supply is hampering the growth of the market in the forecast period.
South America enteral feeding formulas market is segmented into five notable segments which are products, application, type of tube feeding, stage and end user.
- On the basis of products, the market is segmented into standard formulas and disease-specific formulas. Standard formulas are sub-segmented into polymeric and monomeric. Disease-specific formulas are sub-segmented into diabetic formulas, renal formulas, hepatic formulas, pulmonary formulas and others. In 2019, standard formulas segment is estimated to rule with the highest CAGR of 6.1% in the forecast period of 2019 to 2026.
- On the basis of application, the market is segmented into oncology, neurology, critical care, diabetes, gastroenterology and others. In 2019, critical care segment is estimated to rule with the highest CAGR of 6.0% in the forecast period of 2019 to 2026.
- On the basis of type of tube, the market is segmented into gastric tube feeding, nasogastric tube feeding, gastrostomy tube feeding and duodenal or jejunal tube feeding. In 2019, nasogastric tube feeding segment is estimated to rule with the highest CAGR of 6.0% in the forecast period of 2019 to 2026.
- On the basis of stage, the market is segmented into adult and pediatric. In 2019, adult segment is estimated to rule with the highest CAGR of 6.0% in the forecast period of 2019 to 2026.
- On the basis of end user, the market is segmented into hospitals and long term care facilities. Long term facility segment is further sub-segmented into home care agencies and hospices, nursing homes and assisted living facilities. In 2019, hospitals segment is estimated to rule with the highest CAGR of 6.3% in the forecast period of 2019 to 2026.
Major Players: South America Enteral Feeding Formulas Market
Abbott dominated the enteral feeding formula market accounting largest market share followed by Nestle, Meiji Holdings CO., LTD and B. Braun Melsungen AG along with other players such as
- Danone Nutricia
- Fresenius SE & CO. KGAA
- Global Health Products, Inc
- Hormel Foods, Llc
- Mead Johnson & Company, Llc
- Medline Industries, Inc
- Medtrition, Inc
- Real Food Blends