Global Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Drug Market By Type (Chronic Bronchitis, Pulmonary Emphysema, Asthma), Mechanism Of Action Type (Bronchodilators, Selective Β2-Adrenergic Agonists (Short- And Long-Acting), Theophylline, Anticholinergics, Glucocorticoids, Antimuscarinic Drugs, Or A Combination Of These Drugs), Therapy Type (Oxygen Therapy, Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program), Drug Type (Aclidinium, Arformoterol, Formoterol Glycopyrrolate, Indacaterol, Albuterol, Levalbuterol, Prednisolone, Fluticasone), Route Of Administration (Oral, Inhaled, Intravenous And Others), Device Type (Inhalers, Pressurized Metered-Dose Inhalers (Mdis), Dry-Powder Inhalers (Dpis), Nebulizers, Soft Mist Inhalers, Others), End- Users (Hospitals, Homecare, Specialty Clinics, Others), Geography (North America, South America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Middle East And Africa) - Industry Trends & Forecast to 2026
Market Analysis: Global Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Drug Market
Global chronic obstructive pulmonary disease drug market is rising gradually to an estimated value of USD 69.29 billion by 2026 registering a steady CAGR of 4.3% in the forecast period of 2019-2026. This rise in market value can be attributed to the increasing awareness and concerns regarding the health of patients, growing prevalence of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) associated diseases and rising patient population and increase in availability of novel combination therapy drugs.
Market Definition: Global Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Drug Market
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a progressive lung disease which is characterized by increasing breathlessness, wheezing, and tightness in the chest. The patient of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) experiences chronic chough, shortness of breath, fatigue, frequent flu and weight-loss. Other symptoms include emphysema, chronic bronchitis, refractory asthma and some forms of bronchiectasis.
The Global Burden of Disease Study reports a prevalence of 251.00 million cases of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) globally in 2016. Globally, it is estimated that 3.17 million deaths were caused by the disease in 2015 (that is, 5% of all deaths globally in that year)
- Growing prevalence of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) associated diseases
- Rising patient population and increase in availability of novel combination therapy drugs
- Increasing awareness regarding chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- High smoking prevalence
- Growing medical spending, increasing global healthcare expenditure and technological advancements in pharmaceuticals research
- Effective treatment is either unavailable or unaffordable
- Patent expiry from many companies and introduction of generic drugs is expected to restrain the growth of the market
- Lack of awareness among the patient and physician about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) treatment
Segmentation: Global Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Drug Market
- Chronic bronchitis
- Pulmonary emphysema
By Mechanism Type
- Selective β2-adrenergic agonists (short- and long-acting)
- Anti-muscarinic drugs
By Drug Type
- Oxygen therapy
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program
By Route of Administration
By Device Type
- Pressurized metered-dose inhalers (MDIS)
- Dry-powder inhalers (DPIS)
- Soft mist inhalers
By End User
- Specialty Clinics
- North America
- South America
- Rest of South America
- United Kingdom
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Key Developments in the Market:
- In April 2019, Circassia and AstraZeneca received collaborative FDA approval for Duaklir which is a fixed-dose combination of the long-acting muscarinic antagonist (LAMA) aclidinium bromide and long-acting beta-agonist (LABA) formoterol fumarate for the maintenance treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), administered twice-daily via the AstraZeneca’s breath-actuated inhaler Pressair
- In February 2019, Mylan N.V received FDA approval for Wixela Inhub (fluticasone propionate and salmeterol inhalation powder, USP) which is first generic version of Advair Diskus by GlaxoSmithKline Plc. This drug is used for the treatment of asthma or other chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). As it is a first substitutable generic of ADVAIR DISKUS it increases affordability to all healthcare system
Competitive Analysis: Global Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Drug Market
Global chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) drug market is highly fragmented and the major players have used various strategies such as new product launches, expansions, agreements, joint ventures, partnerships, acquisitions, and others to increase their footprints in this market. The report includes market shares of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease drug market for Global, Europe, North America, Asia-Pacific, South America and Middle East & Africa.
Key Market Players: Global Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Drug Market
Few of the major competitors currently working in the chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) drug market are AstraZeneca, Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH, GlaxoSmithKline plc, Novartis AG, Chiesi Farmaceutici S.p.A , Sunovion Pharmaceuticals Inc, Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd, Mylan N.V., Orion Corporation, Merck & Co., Inc, Abbott, F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd, Vectura Group plc, Pfizer Inc, Alkermes, Mylan N.V, Almirall, S.A, Genentech, Inc, Biogen, Vectura Group plc and few among others.
Research Methodology: Global Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Drug Market
Data collection and base year analysis is done using data collection modules with large sample sizes. The market data is analyzed and forecasted using market statistical and coherent models. Also market share analysis and key trend analysis are the major success factors in the market report. To know more please request an analyst call or can drop down your enquiry.
The key research methodology used by DBMR research team is data triangulation which involves data mining, analysis of the impact of data variables on the market, and primary (industry expert) validation. Apart from this, other data models include Vendor Positioning Grid, Market Time Line Analysis, Market Overview and Guide, Company Positioning Grid, Company Market Share Analysis, Standards of Measurement, Top to Bottom Analysis and Vendor Share Analysis. To know more about the research methodology, drop in an inquiry to speak to our industry experts.
Demand Side: Doctors, Surgeons, Medical Consultants, Nurses, Hospital Buyers, Group Purchasing Organizations, Associations, Insurers, Medical Payers, Healthcare Authorities, Universities, Technological Writers, Scientists, Promoters, and Investors among others.
Supply Side: Product Managers, Marketing Managers, C-Level Executives, Distributors, Market Intelligence, and Regulatory Affairs Managers among others.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Current and future of global chronic obstructive pulmonary disease drug market outlook in the developed and emerging markets
- The segment that is expected to dominate the market as well as the segment which holds highest CAGR in the forecast period
- Regions/Countries that are expected to witness the fastest growth rates during the forecast period
- The latest developments, market shares, and strategies that are employed by the major market players
Customization of the Report:
- All segmentation provided above in this report is represented at country level
- All products covered in the market, product volume and average selling prices will be included as customizable options which may incur no or minimal additional cost (depends on customization)