Global Hydroxyl-Terminated Polybutadiene (HTPB) Market By Type (Conventional Hydroxyl Terminated Polybutadienes, Low Molecular Weight Hydroxyl Terminated Polybutadienes), Application (Rocket Fuel, Waterproof Coatings & Membranes, Adhesives and Sealants, Potting and Encapsulation, Others), End-User (Aerospace & Defence, Automotive, Building and Construction, Electrical & Electronics, Others), Geography (North America, South America, Europe, Asia-Pacific and Middle East & Africa) – Industry Trends and Forecast to 2026
Hydroxyl-terminated polybutadiene (HTPB) is an oligomer of butadiene terminated at each end with a hydroxyl functional group. It reacts with isocyanates to form polyurethane polymers. HTPB is a translucent liquid with a colour similar to wax paper and a viscosity similar to corn syrup. An important application of HTPB is in solid rocket propellant. It binds the oxidizing agent and other ingredients into a solid but elastic mass. These hydroxyl-terminated polybutadiene (HTPB) resins are characterized by low volatiles content, low glass transition temperatures, excellent hydrophobicity and a high level of reactive functionality.
The hydrocarbon nature of HTPB (98.6%) along with low viscosity and low specific gravity makes it a promising fuel binder for PU propellant. It is physically and chemically compatible with the conventional oxidizers and other ingredients at normal storage conditions. Growing utilization of HTPB products in adhesives for construction of buildings is leading to growth in demand for global hydroxyl-terminated polybutadiene (HTPB) market.
Global hydroxyl-terminated polybutadiene (HTPB) market is expected to register a substantial CAGR of 6.3% in the forecast period of 2019-2026.
Segmentation: Global Hydroxyl-Terminated Polybutadiene (HTPB) Market
Global hydroxyl-terminated polybutadiene (HTPB) market is segmented into three notable segments which are type, application and end-user.
- On the basis of type, the market is segmented into conventional hydroxyl terminated polybutadienes, low molecular weight hydroxyl terminated polybutadienes.
- In March 2017, Total Cray Valley (TCV) presented itself in the Adhesive and Sealant Council (ASC) Conference and Expo. The company showcased its product range of Poly bd and Krasol liquid polybutadiene resins and conducted an education session on the latest resin technology utilized by the company.
- On the basis of application, the market is segmented into rocket fuel, waterproof coatings & membranes, adhesives and sealants, potting and encapsulation, others.
- In March 2019, Contracting and Supervision Bureau of the Central Military Commission Equipment Development Department conducted the supervision and examination of the company’s equipment qualification. The company got certified through all the criteria based on military research and production tasks. The quality check conducted by the department, helped the company in the tremendous promotion of its quality system, operation and construction.
- On the basis of end-user, the market is segmented into aerospace & defence, automotive, building and construction, electrical & electronics, others.
- In November 2014, Evonik inaugurated a new manufacturing plant at Marl for hydroxyl terminated polybutadiene (HTPB). The plant has a capacity of producing several thousand metric tons per year. The new plant was mainly constructed for the purpose of extending the product portfolio of polybutadienes in the market.
Competitive Analysis: Global Hydroxyl-Terminated Polybutadiene (HTPB) Market
Some of the major players operating in this market are CRS Chemicals, Island Pyrochemical Industries (IPI), Zibo Qilong Chemical Co., Ltd., Cray Valley, Orion Chem Pvt Ltd, Polymer Source. Inc., Evonik Industries AG and Idemitsu Kosan Co., Ltd
- In June 2017, TOTAL Cray Valley announced the commercial production of Krasol F 3000 diol product. The product is an extension to the company’s Ricon and Krasol product lines of liquid polybutadiene resins.
- In April 2017, Evonik launched its new product in the market for coatings and adhesives at the European Coatings Show. The product portfolio comprised of different types of coatings thus expanding its product range. The new product will help the company in increasing its profits.
Research Methodology: Global Hydroxyl-Terminated Polybutadiene (HTPB) Market
Primary Respondents: Key Industry Participants, Subject-Matter Experts (SMEs), C-level Executives of Key Market Players, Market Intelligence Managers, National Sales Managers and Industry Consultants.