China Homologation Market, By Sourcing Type (Outsourced Services and In-House Services), Type (System & Component Homologation and Full Vehicle Homologation), Service Type (Testing Services, Inspection Services, Certification Services, and Others), Validity (National and International), Engine Type (Electric and Internal Combustion Engine (ICE)), Application (Electrical Systems & Components, Telematics, Fuels, Fluids & Lubricants, and Others), Vehicle Type (Passenger Vehicles, Commercial Vehicles, Two Wheelers, and Agricultural Equipment) - Industry Trends and Forecast to 2030.
China Homologation Market Analysis and Insights
China homologation is a mandatory process for all products exported to China. It is a conformity assessment procedure that ensures that products meet the safety, performance, and environmental standards set by the Chinese government. The process is overseen by the Certification and Accreditation Administration of China (CNCA). There are two main types of China homologation: compulsory and voluntary. Compulsory homologation is required for certain types of products, such as vehicles, electrical appliances, and medical devices. Voluntary homologation is not required by law, but it can provide a number of benefits, such as improved market access and increased consumer confidence.
Data Bridge Market Research analyzes that the China homologation market is expected to reach a value of USD 269,417.46 thousand by 2030, at a CAGR of 4.7% during the forecast period.
2023 to 2030
2021 (Customizable to 2015 – 2020)
Revenue in USD Thousand
Sourcing Type (Outsourced Services and In-House Services), Type (System & Component Homologation and Full Vehicle Homologation), Service Type (Testing Services, Inspection Services, Certification Services, and Others), Validity (National and International), Engine Type (Electric and Internal Combustion Engine (ICE)), Application (Electrical Systems & Components, Telematics, Fuels, Fluids & Lubricants, and Others), Vehicle Type (Passenger Vehicles, Commercial Vehicles, Two Wheelers, and Agricultural Equipment)
Market Players Covered
TÜV SÜD, SGS Société Générale de Surveillance SA., Applus+, FORVIA, G&M Compliance, Inc., UTAC, IB-Lenhardt AG, UL LLC, Intertek Group plc, DEKRA com, Bureau Veritas, TÜV Rheinland, Formel D, TASS International, among others
Homologation is a crucial component of the regulatory landscape, encompassing the processes and requirements for obtaining the necessary certifications and approvals for products to be legally distributed, sold, and used within the country. It primarily focuses on ensuring that products meet safety, environmental, and quality standards, fostering consumer protection and product quality assurance. It involves the assessment and validation of various product categories, prominently including automotive and electronic goods.
China Homologation Market Dynamics
This section deals with understanding the market drivers, advantages, opportunities, restraints, and challenges. All of this is discussed in detail below:
- Rising Number of New Registered EV Vehicles
The rising number of newly registered electric vehicle (EV) in China has had a profound impact on the country's homologation market, which refers to the process of certifying that a vehicle complies with the necessary safety and environmental regulations to be legally sold and operated on the road. China has emerged as the world's largest market for EVs, with a strong government push to reduce carbon emissions and promote clean energy solutions. This surge in EV registrations has driven significant changes in the homologation landscape.
- Complex and Time-Consuming Process
The process of obtaining homologation in the Chinese market is a complex and time-consuming endeavor that presents numerous challenges for foreign companies seeking to enter this lucrative market. Homologation is the certification process that ensures a product or vehicle complies with China's regulatory standards and safety requirements.
China's Vast Consumer Base
China's vast consumer base is a tremendous opportunity for the China homologation market. With a population of over 1.4 billion people, China represents one of the largest consumer markets globally. This sheer scale of potential customers offers a substantial incentive for automotive manufacturers and suppliers to enter the market and have their products certified through homologation.
- Stringent Regulations
China's stringent regulations pose significant challenges for companies operating in the China homologation market. These regulations are aimed at ensuring product safety, environmental protection, and market competitiveness, but they can also create hurdles for businesses seeking to enter and succeed in this market.
- In July 2023, UTAC and SMVIC strengthened their cooperation, with SMVIC's test center being co-approved as a Euro NCAP facility in China. This achievement, celebrated in the presence of industry leaders, marks a major stride in advancing global vehicle safety and reducing accident rates.
- In July 2023, UL LLC. was designated as a Certification Body Testing Laboratory (CBTL) for Battery and Electric Vehicle Charger Services in Taiwan, providing comprehensive testing services for manufacturers in the e-mobility and energy industries.
- In May 2023, FORVIA CLD, a prominent Chinese hydrogen tank manufacturer, marked a pivotal step in advancing hydrogen mobility in China. CLD's recent Type IV tank certification by the Chinese government, known for its lightweight design, enhances Faurecia's position in this sector. With CLD's growth potential and Type IV tanks, Faurecia is primed to accelerate hydrogen mobility in China, solidifying its presence and impact in the market.
- In March 2023, SGS Société Générale de Surveillance SA reinforces its dedication to the bio/pharmaceutical industry with a significant investment in a cutting-edge bioanalytical testing facility in Pudong, Shanghai, closely aligned with its existing testing hub. With enhanced capabilities, from preclinical to clinical stages, this initiative promises streamlined IND and NDA processes, demonstrating SGS's commitment to advancing drug R&D and quality in collaboration with key industry leaders.
- In May 2021, Bureau Veritas's Detroit automotive laboratory received approval from General Motors for Automotive EMC Specification GMW3097:2019, solidifying our position as a vital testing entity in the automotive supply chain.
China Homologation Market Scope
The China homologation market is segmented into seven notable segments which are on the basis of sourcing type, type, service type, validity, engine type, application, and vehicle type. The growth among segments helps you analyze niche pockets of growth and strategies to approach the market and determine your core application areas and the difference in your target markets.
- Outsourced Services
- In-House Services
On the basis of sourcing type, the market is segmented into outsourced services, in-house services.
- System & Component Homologation
- Full Vehicle Homologation
On the basis of type, the market is segmented into system & component homologation, full vehicle homologation.
- Testing Services
- Inspection Services
- Certification Services
On the basis of service type, the market is segmented into testing services, inspection services, and certification services, and others.
On the basis of validity, the market is segmented into international and national.
- Internal Combustion Engine (ICE)
On the basis of engine type, the market is segmented into electric and internal combustion engine (ICE).
- Electrical Systems & Components
- Fuels, Fluids & Lubricants
On the basis of application, the market is segmented into electrical systems & components, telematics, fuels, fluids & lubricants, and others.
- Passenger Vehicles
- Commercial Vehicles
- Two Wheelers
- Agricultural Equipment
On the basis of vehicle type, the market is segmented into passenger vehicles, commercial vehicles, two wheelers, and agricultural equipment.
Competitive Landscape and China Homologation Market Share Analysis
The China homologation market competitive landscape provides details of competitors. Details included are company overview, company financials, revenue generated, market potential, investment in R&D, new market initiatives, production sites and facilities, company strengths and weaknesses, product launch, product approvals, product width and breadth, application dominance, and product type lifeline curve. The above data points provided are only related to the company’s focus on the market.
Some of the major market players operating in the China homologation market are SGS Société Générale de Surveillance SA., UTAC, FORVIA, Intertek Group plc, Applus+, Bureau Veritas, and DEKRA com, among others.