Barrier films are used mainly to extend the shelf life and for protection of food products from various external influences providing oxygen and moisture barriers. It holds the main use in the packaging of products.
The demand for multi-layer packaging is increasing as it can be used for the prevention of deterioration of food by preventing oxygen and water permeation. It can also be used for encapsulation to build multilayered cells. It is used in delamination, structural layer and prevention and storage of gases in chemical industries.
Global barrier films market is projected to register a healthy CAGR of 4.3% in the forecast period of 2019 to 2026.
Segmentation: Global Barrier Films Market
Global barrier films market is segmented into two notable segments which are type and application.
- On the basis of type, the market is segmented into polyethylene (PE), oxygen/water vapour barriers, structural or protective layers and others. The polyethylene is further sub-segmented into HDPE, LDPE, LLDPE, MDPE and Polyethylene terephthalate (PET). Oxygen/water vapour barriers is further sub-segmented into Aclar (PCTFE), Saran (PVDC), Metallized Polyester (METPET), EVOH, Teflon (PTFE), Tedlar (PFE) and Escal (ceramic coated PVOH). Structural or protective layer is further sub-segmented into Polypropylene (PP), Oriented Polypropylene (OPP), Biaxially Oriented Polypropylene (BOPP) and Biaxially Oriented Nylon (BON).
- In June 2018, Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Corporation established Materials Informatics Center of Excellence (CoE). The main goal of this establishment center is to promote use and proactive application of material informatics.
- On the basis of application, the market is segmented into food and beverage, pharmaceutical, agriculture and others. Food and beverage is sub segmented into bakery and confectionery, dehydrated food and beverage, animal food and others.
- In October 2018, ProAmpac showcased an innovation by launching its brand Proactive Sustainability in order to introduce sustainability that gave 100% recyclable packaging.
Competitive Analysis: Global Barrier Films Market
Some of the major players operating in this market are TEE GROUP FILMS, Winpak Ltd., ProAmpac, Fraunhofer, Huhtamaki, Sumitomo Chemical Co., Ltd., Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Corporation, JINDAL POLY FILMS, Mondi, PLASTISSIMO.COM, Uflex Ltd and Cosmo Films Ltd. and others
- In March, CP Kelco (U.S.) announced setting up of new production capacity for manufacturing gellan gum products (KELCOGEL gellan gum) at its Oklahoma plant. With this move, CP Kelco aims to expand production capabilities and serve its commitment of delivering versatile value added solutions to customers’ expectations.
Research Methodology: Global Barrier Films Market
Primary Respondents: key industry participants, subject-matter experts (SMEs), C-level executives of key market players, Market Intelligence Managers, National Sales Managers and industry consultants.