North America Laxative Market, By Type (Osmotic laxatives, Stimulant laxatives, Bulk laxatives and Lubricant and Emollient laxatives), By Flavors (With Flavor and Without Flavor), By Source (Natural, Synthetic and Others), By Indication (Chronic Constipation, irritable bowel Syndrome with Constipation, Opioid-Induced constipation, Acute constipation and Others), By Mode of Purchase (Prescription and Over-the-Counter), By Dosage Form (Tablets, Capsules, Powder, Liquid and Gels, Suppositories and Others), By Route of Administration (Oral and Rectal), By Population Type (Children and Adults), By Sales Channel (Hospitals, Elderly Care Centers, Home Healthcare, Pharmacy Stores, grocery/Health and Beauty Stores and Others), By Distribution channel (Direct Sales, Wholesalers and Others), By Country (U.S., Canada, Mexico).
North America Laxative market is expected to gain market growth in the forecast period of 2021 to 2028. Data Bridge Market Research analyses that the market is growing with a CAGR of 5.7% in the forecast period of 2021 to 2028 and is expected to reach USD 5,684.04 million by 2028
Laxatives are a type of medicated drugs, which relieve acute and constipation and irritable bowel syndrome, by loosening the feces and bowel movement. The laxatives are also implemented prior to before bowel procedures and . The laxatives are available as Over The Counter (OTC)., which means t The laxatives can be purchased without a prescription of the doctor.
Four main types of laxatives are osmotic laxatives, stimulant laxatives bulk laxatives, and lubricant, and emollient laxatives. The osmotic laxatives with electrolytes capture the fluids into the intestine from the layered tissues , which makes the stool softer and easier to pass. The time duration taken is from thirty minutes to six hours to work. The examples are the golytely and colyte are examples of osmotic laxative with electrolytes The osmotic laxatives without electrolytes are Macrogol 4000, a biologically inert non-absorbable osmotic laxative. It is an effective and well-accustomed first first-line option treatment for idiopathic constipation. The stimulant laxatives which are bisacodyl and senna , raise the lining of the intestine,, which are bisacodyl and senna , raise the intestine's lining to eradicate the faecal matter. The most common used laxatives are used is the Psyllium, a bulk forming laxative. It causes an increase in the water content, hence making it move more through the digestive tract. The mechanism of the action takes 12-72 hours.
Increased prevalence of constipation and acclimatization of sedentary lifestyle are the major drivers which propelled the demand of the market in the forecast period. The surge in Over The Counter Laxative (OTC) medications, the increased implementation of bulk laxatives and strategic initiatives by market players would create opportunities in the market growth. However, the factors such as less efficacy of laxative for opioid induced constipation and availability of alternatives are the factors which would restrain the market growth. The increase in product recall and patient compliance regarding the use of laxatives are the challenges, which would hamper the market growth.
The Laxative market report provides details of market share, new developments, and product pipeline analysis, impact of domestic and localized market players, analyses opportunities in terms of emerging revenue pockets, changes in market regulations, product approvals, strategic decisions, product launches, geographic expansions, and technological innovations in the market. To understand the analysis and the market scenario contact us for an analyst brief, our team will help you create a revenue impact solution to achieve your desired goal.
The laxative market is segmented on the basis of type, flavours, source, indication, mode of purchase, dosage form, route of administration, population type, sales channel and distribution channel. The growth among segments helps you analyze niche pockets of growth and strategies to approach the market and determine your core application areas and the difference in your target markets.
- On the basis of type, the North America Laxative market is segmented into Osmotic laxatives, Stimulant laxatives, Bulk laxatives and Lubricant, and Emollient laxatives. Osmotic laxatives is further divided into Osmotic laxatives with electrolytes (polyethylene glycol) like golytely, colyte and others and Osmotic laxatives without electrolytes like magnesium hydroxide solution, epsom salts, lactulose and others. Stimulant laxatives are further divided into bisacodyl, castor oil, senna, phenolphthalein and others. Bulk laxatives are further divided into psyllium, methyl cellulose, polycarbophil, and others. Lubricant and emollient laxatives are further divided into mineral oil, glycerin suppositories and others. In 2020, stimulant laxatives segment is dominating the market because these laxatives function by causing the intestinal muscles to rhythmically contract and help push out, or “stimulate” a bowel movement. Also, it is used to clean out the intestines before a bowel examination/surgery.
- On the basis of flavors, the North America laxative market is segmented into with flavor and without flavor. With flavor is further divided into fruit, herbal and others. In 2020, with flavor segment is dominating the market because the taste of a product is one of the key attributes determining patient acceptability and compliance, as well as market acceptance.
- On the basis of source, the North America laxative market is segmented into natural, synthetic and others. Natural is further divided into psyllium, rhubarb, senna, and slippery elm. Synthetic is further divided into phenolphthalein, bisacodyl, picosulfate and oxyphenisatin. In 2020, synthetic segment is dominating the market due to increased investments in R&D by public and private market players for the development and production of synthetic laxatives and availability of synthetic laxatives as over-the-counter medications.
- On the basis of indication, the North America laxative market is segmented into chronic constipation, irritable bowel syndrome with constipation, opioid-induced constipation, acute constipation and others. In 2020, chronic constipation segment is dominating the market because of growing cases of constipation, gastric disorders, and easily availability of OTC drugs for constipation.
- On the basis of mode of purchase, the North America laxative market is segmented into prescription and over-the-counter. In 2020, over-the-counter segment is dominating the market because it decreases the frequency of visits to physicians, leading to lower healthcare costs and allows customization of the product as per patients' need.
- On the basis of dosage form, the North America laxative market is segmented into tablets, capsules, powder, liquids & gels, suppositories, and others. In 2020, tablets segment is dominating the market as it is the safest, most common, convenient, and economical method of drug administration.
- On the basis of route of administration, the North America laxative market is segmented into oral and rectal. In 2020, oral segment is dominating the market as it is the safest, most convenient, and economical method of drug administration. Moreover, it is the best way to deliver a precise dose quickly.
- On the basis of population type, the North America laxative market is segmented into children and adults. In 2020, adults segment is expected to dominate the global laxative market due to lack of dietary fiber intake, physical inactivity or medication side effects, not getting enough exercise, changes in a regular routine, such as traveling or eating or going to bed at different times.
- On the basis of sales channel, the North America laxative market is segmented into hospitals, elderly care centers, home healthcare, pharmacy stores, grocery / health and beauty stores and others. In 2020, hospitals segment is expected to dominate the global laxative market as the hospital is a healthcare institution with an organized medical and professional staff. It provides medical, nursing, and other health-related services to patients.
- On the basis of distribution channel, the North America laxative market is segmented direct sales, whole salers and others. In 2020, direct sales segment is expected to dominate the global laxative market as it results in direct contact with the seller and the selling of products directly to the customer.
Laxative Market Country Level Analysis
The Laxative market is analyzed and market size information is provided on the basis of type, flavours, source, indication, mode of purchase, dosage form, and route of administration, population type, sales channel, and distribution channel.
The countries covered in the Laxative market report are the U.S., Canada andMexico.
Adults segment in North America region is expected to grow with the highest growth rate in the forecast period of 2021 to 2028 because of increase in geriatric population, increased prevalence of constipation and gastric disorders.
The country section of the report also provides individual market impacting factors and changes in regulation in the market domestically that impacts the current and future trends of the market. Data points such as new sales, replacement sales, country demographics, regulatory acts and import-export tariffs are some of the major pointers used to forecast the market scenario for individual countries. Also, presence and availability of North America brands and their challenges faced due to large or scarce competition from local and domestic brands, impact of sales channels are considered while providing forecast analysis of the country data.
Strategic initiatives by market players and rise of OTC laxative medications are boosting the Market Growth of
The laxative market also provides you with detailed market analysis for every country growth in Laxative industry with Laxative drugs sales, impact of advancement in the Laxative technology and changes in regulatory scenarios with their support for the Laxative market. The data is available for historic period 2010 to 2018.
Competitive Landscape and Laxative Market Share Analysis
Laxative market competitive landscape provides details by competitor. Details included are company overview, company financials, revenue generated, market potential, investment in research and development, new market initiatives, production sites and facilities, company strengths and weaknesses, product launch, product trials pipelines, product approvals, patents, product width, and breath, application dominance, technology lifeline curve. The above data points provided are only related to the company’s focus related to Laxative market.
The major companies which are dealing in the North America laxative market are. Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH, GlaxoSmithKlineplc, Bayer AG, Fresenius Kabi Austria GmbH, Prestige Consumer Healthcare Inc., Procter & Gamble, Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd, Sanofi Aventis LLC U.S, RECORDATI, Mallinckrodt, Hikma Pharmaceuticals PLC, Abbott, Avrio Health L.P, Dr Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd, LNK INTERNATIONAL INC., Cipla Inc., Aspen Pharmacare Australia Pty Ltd, Salix PHARMACEUTICAL and Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd among others
Many product launch and agreement are also initiated by the companies’ worldwide which are also accelerating the Laxative market.
- In January 2018, Bayer AG had introduced MiraLAX, the popular drug for constipation. MiraLAX had received the reprieve from the FDA. The FDA states that the drug will be sued for another 6 months. Bayer AG had discontinued distributing the laxative medication, since it had caused side effects such as behavioral problems. Hence, it resulted in loss of net income and negative growth in market.
- In June 2012, Meta Mucil, a brand of Procter and Gamble was introduced during the Heart Health Month conference. The doctors explained the complete importance of Meta Mucil as a fiber supplement. Doctors had recommended Meta Mucil to heart patients. It improved the product range and delivered a linear growth in the market.
- In January 2020, Fresenius Kabi Austria GmbH had launched a new website about detailed information about the use of laxatives. The lactulose laxative laevolac is a synthetic laxative, used to cure constipation. The website launched would result in increased awareness about the use of lactulose laxative among consumers, rise in purchase power and enhancement in product portfolio and increase in net sales.
Collaboration, product launch, business expansion, award and recognition, joint ventures and other strategies by the market player is enhancing the company market in the Laxative market which also provides the benefit for organization to improve their offering for Laxative.
Customization Available: North America Laxative Market
Data Bridge Market Research is a leader in advanced formative research. We take pride in servicing our existing and new customers with data and analysis that match and suits their goal. The report can be customized to include price trend analysis of target brands understanding the market for additional countries (ask for the list of countries), clinical trial results data, literature review, refurbished market and product base analysis. Market analysis of target competitors can be analyzed from technology-based analysis to market portfolio strategies. We can add as many competitors that you require data about in the format and data style you are looking for. Our team of analysts can also provide you data in crude raw excel files pivot tables (Fact book) or can assist you in creating presentations from the data sets available in the report.